Skip to main content

Father died with no will. May not have filed self-employment taxes for several years. How do we find out what he owes?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Intestacy and probate

Father passed with no will. He owns some land, has a home and land with a balance owed. Owns a truck and has cash in the bank. In addition, he has property in the home worth some money. We do not believe he filed taxes for the past several years while working for himself. How do we find out what he owes? What part is considered his estate? What can we sell without breaking the law or being responsible for his unpaid taxes/penalties?

Attorney Answers 2


What a mess. First, you need to establish an estate to administer his assets. You need to retain an experienced estate/probate attorney to assist you since you have multiple problems. The attorney can assist in getting a close family member named as an adminstrator for the estate. Once an estate is set up the administrator must protect all its assets, pay all its debts, make sure all taxes have been paid. Nothing should be sold until the estate is established and the situation is reviewed with the attorney you retain.
As for the taxes, you need to find his books and records and statements of accounts to attempt to reconstruct his income for the years in question. You may need to retain a forensic accountant to retrace and reconstruct all open tax years. Only upon resolution of all of these issues and payment of all taxes and debts can amounts be distributed to family members in accordance with TX intestate laws of succession. Stop what you are doing and immediately hire an experienced estates attorney to assist you, otherwise you are looking for big problems.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


You do need to speak with an attorney and provide the details relating to your father's property and the attorney can advise you as to his heirs at law pursuant to Texas law. You can then determine whether an administration is necessary or perhaps another, less-restrictive method can be used. For example, the outcome and procedures could be different depending on whether he was married when he died and the type of property he owned. You and the attorney will need to determine what is in his estate and what debts or claims may exist against the estate and the attorney can advise you as to the proper way to notify potential creditors and the deadline they would have to present a claim.

There are several issues contained within your question, and the safest route is to consult with a probate attorney here in the Houston area as soon as possible to discuss the different ways your father's estate can be wound up, and the potential liability for debts or other claims against the estate, including taxes.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics