Father died,,,sister inherits house we both live in,sister has no income to pay gas,elec taxes etc. she refuses to add me to

deed to house. she wants her son to inherit house if she dies,,,,her son is a heroin addict,,in jail at present time. i called title place cost of adding me to deed is 485 dollars,which i dont have HELP

Philadelphia, PA -

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Estate Planning Attorney - Livonia, MI

I would check around. If your sister is willing to add you to the title, it could cost well less than $500. I normally charge $200 for this, in Michigan. The problem is...you cannot force your sister to do this. She is free to let the house be foreclosed if she wishes. That is your biggest problem.

James Frederick

Steven J. Fromm

Steven J. Fromm

Estate Planning Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

If this is the case there is no reason to keep paying for the upkeep. Tell her you will not keep paying if she does not transfer 1/2 of the property to you. By the way, you are not entitled to deduct the taxes you pay on the house on your individual tax return. Also, if she does agree you then are going to have to determine which form of joint property to use; joint tenancy or tenancy in common.

Matthew Erik Johnson

Matthew Erik Johnson

Estate Planning Attorney - Seattle, WA

As Mr. Frederick mentions, feel free to shop around. However your sister has the right to do as she wishes.