Father died,,,sister inherits house we both live in,sister has no income to pay gas,elec taxes etc. she refuses to add me to

Asked about 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

deed to house. she wants her son to inherit house if she dies,,,,her son is a heroin addict,,in jail at present time. i called title place cost of adding me to deed is 485 dollars,which i dont have HELP

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would check around. If your sister is willing to add you to the title, it could cost well less than $500. I normally charge $200 for this, in Michigan. The problem is...you cannot force your sister to do this. She is free to let the house be foreclosed if she wishes. That is your biggest problem.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more
  2. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If this is the case there is no reason to keep paying for the upkeep. Tell her you will not keep paying if she does not transfer 1/2 of the property to you. By the way, you are not entitled to deduct the taxes you pay on the house on your individual tax return. Also, if she does agree you then are going to have to determine which form of joint property to use; joint tenancy or tenancy in common.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  3. Matthew Erik Johnson

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As Mr. Frederick mentions, feel free to shop around. However your sister has the right to do as she wishes.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more

Related Topics

Deed to property

A deed is a written document describing a piece of real estate and documenting the transfer of ownership from one person (the grantor) to another (grantee).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,156 answers this week

2,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,156 answers this week

2,958 attorneys answering