Fantasy sports website - which business entity to choose?

Plainview, NY |

I have two partners and we need help deciding which business entity to choose... People go to our website to play fantasy sports games to win money and we get a certain percentage of the entry fees paid by these people (our commission fee for managing the games) to play these games.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

1. Is that even legal? Isn't that some form of gambling?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. You're not going to get too many lawyers answering questions like "Where do I bury the body?"

I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

3. Please have a confidential consultation with a an attorney! The advice you need cannot be provided here based upon the brief information you've provided above. You can find local attorneys by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

4. With any business, especially online, I would recommend you sit down with an attorney. This form of gaming may be seen as gambling based on federal/state laws.

Feel free to reach out to me.

www.lawcrt.com

DISCLAIMER: This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am only admitted in New York and New Jersey. Visit my site for more information: www.lawcrt.com.

Business topics