Skip to main content

Family moved to the US from Canada, I was a minor. I have a SS Card. What is my legal status. How do I get a passport? I am 50

Philadelphia, PA |

I assumed I was legal however I do not have a green card. Need to know how to obtain a passport with a Canadian birth certificate

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I will re categorize this under immigration law, so that you will have a better chance of getting some answers. Good luck!

  2. You need to provide more facts. However, a long time ago, the social security office would issue SS numbers even if you didn't have a green card or US citizenship. You need to talk to an attorney who can help request your immigration file via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

  3. The Canadian Embassy handles Canadian Passports. Also, it may be that you qualify for a green card under the little known and apparently little utilized Registry program. To make this determination, we would need to know more. You need to consult with an immigration attorney.

    This answer is of a general nature and does not in any way create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics