Family lawyer

Asked about 1 year ago - Ocean City, MD

I had an abusive relationship with my husband. I got 10 year green card and left to visit my country Ukraine with our 1.5 year old son ( he has double citizenship US and Ukrainian). I dont wanna go back, what can happened?

1. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

3

Answered . You will loose your LPR status if you do not return to the US. Should you intend on staying outside the US I suggest you go to the US Consulate and speak with an officer to retain your status.
    Your husband can file charges against you for taking the child outside the country and keeping him outside the country.
    If you are only referring to not going back to your husband - you intend to be in the USA - you do not have an immigration problem but you may want to speak with a family law attorney.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . If you do not return to the US, you will lose your permanent residence.

3. Cindy Medina

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.