FAMILY LAWYER: I PAY TO A FAMILY LAWYER THE COMPLETE AMOUNT FOR MY DIVORCE. THE LAWYER LEAVE MY CASE.

Ocala, FL |

LAWYER BEGIN MY CASE BUT NOT COMPLETE MY DIVORCE. NOT WANT TO RETURN PART OF MY MONEY. WHAT I CAN DO WHEN A LAWYER HAS THE DEFENSES FOR DEFEND AND NOT WANT TO RETURN MY MONEY BACK?

This depends on the type of retainer agreement (contract) you signed with the attorney. If the case required a retainer, and the retainer is nonrefundable, then the attorney earns said fee upon receipt and it is nonrefundable as long as the attorney performed and earned a reasonable amount of said fee. If it was a flat fee, then it is likewise earned at receipt.

If you and the attorney have a disagreement and it cannot be resolved, then the lawyer may keep the nonrefundable retainer and seek a withdrawal from the case since the client and lawyer are disagreeing.

Also note, that once a nonrefundable retainer runs out (i.e. billed out at the attorneys hourly rate), then the attorney will likely begin billing you per their hourly rate.

Take a moment to reread your retainer agreement.

www.IrvingReillyLaw.com

Note: The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.