Family laws, notices, child support, child custody. Child denied contact with father who was originally the primary care taker

Asked 6 months ago - Santa Cruz, CA

My wages garnished, never served anything about courts or hearings notifying these things. I filled out support orders in the beginning but all hell broke loose an lost everything. Now I'm paying support, never given chance to talk to judge. Case worker state there is never support papers with me requesting help only the mother. Employer didn't notify me about garnishment until seen my checks. Now to the point im denied any contact to child. What are my options, why did i never get a chance to tell my side of all this. Weres my support papers i field which note my child mothers mom helped fill out all the paperwork.

Additional information

Childs mother lied about how much time child,was with me when she left us, acted as if she didn't know how,to,fined me even tho,we talked everyday. Had child three days aweek. Originally notice sent to po box an sent back stating no longer recived mail there. But few months latter I get unemployment mailat same address. So obviously someone sent support paperwork back so I couldn't,revive,notice. What are my rights an opportunity.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jonathan A Durham


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to speak with a family law attorney immediately as there are significant legal and economic rights at stake here. Without more facts it is difficult to provide specific answers, but it is clear that you are in a tough position and seeking a consultation with an attorney is the first step to outlining and evaluating your options.

  2. Patricia Mercedes Zerbini

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with the above answer, but want to add that your issue is two-fold.

    First, you need to see if you have grounds to ask the Court to review or set-aside the previous order (one of the grounds could be you were never served, if that can be proved). If you do not have any grounds, you need to file a Modification to use actual visit time and current wages.

    Second, you need to file a Request for Order in order to establish a visiting schedule with the child. It will most likely be a really long and hard battle to make headway on the visitation portion of your case, but if it is what you want, then do something about it.

    It seems like you will definitely need the help of an attorney, at least to get you started on the support issue. Good luck!

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not... more
  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to hire an attorney, it appears you are in dependency court and have no idea what you are doing or how to protect yourself. You need someone who can fight for your rights.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,195 answers this week

2,828 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,195 answers this week

2,828 attorneys answering