Family law question

Asked about 2 years ago - Ventura, CA

I know you have to "attach" the FL-320 Responsive papers to a memorandum of points and authorities. Does this meany physically attach them with a staple or just file them at the same time?

1. Sarah Jeannette Haselup

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . You should check your court's Local Rules for guidance on this as oftentimes it can vary from court to court. Generally, as the other attorney stated, a Memorandum of Points and Authorities is not required. However, if you are writing a Declaration, and need more space than provided on the FL-320, you should staple it to the FL-320 and submit together. Best wishes!

2. Terry Anne Buchanan Esq.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Not every "Responsive" pleading requires a Memorandum of Points and Authorities. If you have such a memorandum, that writing must be "stapled" to the Responsive form, along with the most important document which is the declaration in support of your requested orders.

3. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If you do choose to include a Memorandum of Points and Authorities, you can either attach it to your Responsive Declaration or file it separately (so long as it has an appropriate caption page).

Unless you are a lawyer, I would caution against drafting your own Memorandum of Points and Authorities, especially since the judge will question whether you are citing to good law. If you responding to the cases cited by the opposing counsel, then make sure you explain in your Memorandum of Points and Authorities why the case opposing counsel has cited to is distinguishable from the facts of your case.

Also, if your judge has been on the bench for awhile, then chances are that he/she knows the statutory law so it is frequently unnecessary to cite to statutes.

I am including links below which may be of some help. Good luck.