Family Law Financial Affidavit Mistake in Preparation

Pompano Beach, FL |

I am divorced. I own a business. In my most recent Financial Affidavit filed for a Contempt hearing, I mistakenly put my business' gross income as my gross income. This amount is what the Court used to find me in contempt. Do I have any remedy in fixing this or filing another Financial Affidavit without looking like I'm "manipulating" income?

Of course you have the right to file an amended financial affidavit and probably should do so with a footnote explaining the error. As far as how the court will look at that, I cannot tell without knowing more but you should not proceed with a mistaken financial affidavit.

You do have the right to file an amended affidavit. The court may require you to file a Motion for Leave to Amend.

Our MSA also states VERBATIM "Husband will pay $2500 toward Wife's personal loan with lender A" That's it. No schedule, no time limit. She was paying them at a rate of $300 per month. She since, took a personal loan from her mother . She decided that with that personal loan from her mother that she would pay off her other personal loan that I was responsible for. Now, that loan is paid off. She is now motioning for contempt that I wasn't making the $300 monthly payments and is now requesting that I repay her mother. Other than the "equitable distribution / contempt" defense, what are my other options for defense in this instance?

This is just one axiomatic reason to hire an attorney. File an amended FA immediately, and do make a footnote explaining the mistake on the previous one.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239