Skip to main content

Family law

Jacksonville, FL |

I have a friend that is having problems with the mother of his child. He is not on child support yet but, dealing with the mother is becoming a major issue due to he is not in a relationship with her and she is not taking it likely. What does he need to do? When he wants to be there and take on his responsibility but she is not allowing him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


He needs to file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Parenting Plan and child support. Good luck.

B. Elaine Jones, Esq.


He needs to file a Petition to Determine Paternity to establish his rights and then he will have an obligation to pay child support.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship.


He needs to file a paternity suit. In that suit he can get his rights and responsibilities established by the court.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


In Florida, there are five ways to establish paternity:

-Marriage: The parents are married to each other when the child is born
-Acknowledgement of Paternity: The unmarried couple signs a legal document in the hospital when the child is born, or later
-Administrative Order Based on Genetic Testing: Paternity is ordered if a genetic test proves fatherhood
-Court Order: A judge orders paternity in court
-Legitimation: The mother and natural father get married to each other after the child is born and update the birth record through the Florida Office of Vital Statistics

Best of luck to your friend! BTW, you are a good friend to search out legal answers for him!

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advice, they are given based on the limited information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advice. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advice and, if financially feasible, hiring a competent attorney to handle his/her case.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer