Family law

Asked 2 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

I have a friend that is having problems with the mother of his child. He is not on child support yet but, dealing with the mother is becoming a major issue due to he is not in a relationship with her and she is not taking it likely. What does he need to do? When he wants to be there and take on his responsibility but she is not allowing him.

1. Betty Elaine Jones

2

Answered . He needs to file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Parenting Plan and child support. Good luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

2

Answered . He needs to file a Petition to Determine Paternity to establish his rights and then he will have an obligation to pay child support.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

Answered . He needs to file a paternity suit. In that suit he can get his rights and responsibilities established by the court.

4. Judd Roy Bean II

Answered . In Florida, there are five ways to establish paternity:

-Marriage: The parents are married to each other when the child is born
    -Acknowledgement of Paternity: The unmarried couple signs a legal document in the hospital when the child is born, or later
    -Administrative Order Based on Genetic Testing: Paternity is ordered if a genetic test proves fatherhood
    -Court Order: A judge orders paternity in court
    -Legitimation: The mother and natural father get married to each other after the child is born and update the birth record through the Florida Office of Vital Statistics

Best of luck to your friend! BTW, you are a good friend to search out legal answers for him!

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now