Family Law

Watts, Los Angeles, CA |

I need to know how to take my case to Supreme Court? I have fought for my child for 12 years to no avail! With and without Layers! I have never been titled an unfit mom! I've seen murderers with more rights and success at visiting their children than me! I think it is because I am from the ghetto and dad is from Beverly Hills.

Most Appeals are started by filing a Notice of Appeal with the court within 60 days of the decision. If your case decision is over 60 days old it may be time barred. As for the ghetto v. Beverly Hills, unfortunately I do believe that the more money one has to hire an attorney sometimes means the more justice that person obtains.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

2. To move a case to a higher court you would need to appeal the lower court's judgment or orders. Whether you have grounds to appeal is another issue. You would need to establish a basis for an appeal, i.e. establish that the judge made a mistake of law, of not considering evidence presented, or some other error that would entitle you to appeal. This is not something you can do on your own. To find out if you have grounds for an appeal you should consult directly with an attorney.

3. The best thing to do is to take your paperwork to an experienced family law attorney in your area who can go over the papers with you and explain what happened and what your options are.