Family Law

Asked 12 months ago - Brentwood, CA

The Judge stated dad needs to file a motion to prove why I should not have my visits modified since he disagrees to my visit modification request. We both dropped our lawyers and are in pro per. How long do I wait for him to file? What if he never files? We are off calendar until then. What is this judge plans for us if he never files or if I file.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Noah Kitta

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Do not continue wait for him to reset your motion date, you should refile your motion to avoid delay.

    If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you.... more
  2. John Henry Perrott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with attorney Kitta -- you should file and seek the modification. You might consider purchasing a copy of the Court Reporters Transcript to sort out what the Judge said. If the Judge said anything that helps your case, showing the Judge his/her own prior words can be very useful.

    As stated above -- I have NOT actually stated any legal opinion, because I need to know more before I can start to... more
  3. Debra Vaniman Crawford


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I'm not sure what the Judge meant as it seems that you should be the one filing the motion. And he should respond with why he disagrees. You should seek the advice of an experience family law attorney in your area to clarify this.

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,919 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,919 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering