Family Law

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Can I get my case transferred to another court room and how?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jennifer Renee Posey


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If a judge has already made a ruling on an issue of substance (not an Ex Parte usually) then you are stuck with that judge. If this judge has not made any rulings and not heard any matters, you have within 10 days of the assignment of judge to ask for a new one. (170.6 Disqualification of Judge form). You get a new one without the need to say why. BUT you can only do it once per case. If there is a Judge that has an actual bias or conflict you can always Motion to have them removed but it takes a lot. I totally agree that you should be careful, the next one you get can totally be worse.

  2. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on how old your case is, whether there have been any hearings, whether both parties have appeared in the case yet. See Code of Civil Procedure ยง170.6. That being said, be careful for what you wish for. You could end up some place worse.

  3. Elizabeth Jones

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't. It is referred to as Judge Shopping. However if the judge has made no orders or findings in your case you can file a 170.6 to get another judge.

  4. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally, no, but why are you trying to do this? If a judge has already made decisions in your case, and your only reason for wanting to "transfer" is that you don't like the judge's decisions, then the answer is almost certainly no.

  5. John Carl Bigler


    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . You can use a peremptory challenge under CCP 170.6 but it must be within 10 days of an all purpose assignment. There are other options beyond CCP 170.6 but you'd need to supply more information to receive a more detailed response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,092 answers this week

2,880 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,092 answers this week

2,880 attorneys answering