Family Law

Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA |

Can I sue my ex for slander? He has told judge that I am a prostitute, drug addict, broke into his home, pulled knife on him and threatened to kill him, put a drug in his drink and he awoke my having a knife to his neck, I am a sex addict, etc! He is wealthy!

There is no lawsuit here for slander. As difficult as it is to read these words, its best to not focus on getting even by starting another legal battle. Put the focus on yourself and know that judges in Family Law hear this stuff daily and don't buy into it. Words mean nothing without corroborating evidence. I assume you have a lawyer. If not get one.

Slander is "spoken" defamation. So, it sounds like your ex spoke these statements to the judge during testimony. If that is the case, unfortunately you can NOT sue for slander. While these statements would be considered "slander per se", meaning that they are defamatory on their face - you don't need to prove anything else other than that the person said these statements. However, testimony is considered "privileged" speech. Because we all want witnesses testifying to feel free to do so, the laws prevent people from being charged with slander while giving testimony.
If he has made those statements somewhere out of court to others, then there may be a case for slander, provided that they are false.

This comment above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is a general informational comment that should in no way be construed as legal advice. Please keep in mind that this communication is not confidential, and you should refrain from posting confidential information on a public site. Please contact an attorney for representation.

Sorry, but it wasn't during testimony.

Ameya Telkikar

Ameya Telkikar

Then how did he communicate these statements to the judge? Were these just outbursts while court proceedings were going on? If so, then the statements are not privileged, and may be actionable. Sorry, more facts are needed and you should provide them to an attorney you contact to represent you.

Judge asked him one simple question about changing vista schedule and she let him speak a monologue about any and everything.

Ameya Telkikar

Ameya Telkikar

Sorry, but that sounds like testimony. I suggest you contact a local lawyer to get a full understanding of your legal options. As noted often on this site, this service is just to get general information, rather than legal advice. Our online contact does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the information you give here is not confidential. To figure out the best course of action for you in this case, you need to hire an attorney. An attorney would need full details to figure out whether you have a cause of action.

No. You can't. Thete is a litigation privilege. No one believes these things.
Every judge hears them.

Welcome to divorce court.

All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.