Family Law

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Can I record my ex face to face if I put my phone in my bra and turn on record? Is it legal! Can I use the recording in court? He is sexually abusing me verbally.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Laurie Peters

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . California is a two party consent state. Both parties have to consent. It is illegal to record someone without both his or her knowledge and consent. Some states have a one party consent, or knowledge, but in California it is a two party consent state.

  2. Wail Sarieh


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . YOu can if you obtained his consent to be recorded

    This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not... more
  3. Judith Ann Routledge

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You could however file for DV protection, and also request a court order to allow you to secretly tape him. Check with the self-help center at a courthouse nearest to you.

  4. Joshua O Balter

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I will start by saying I am not licensed in CA. That said let me answer your question based on general principals of law.
    You cannot "secretly" tape a person. You however can hold your phone out in the open and announce you are taping your interaction. I typically tell my clients to do this in divorce and child custody cases as it tends to calm situations down.
    Next, one cannot be sexually abused verbally. They can be emotionally abused, but not sexually.
    I suggest you contact an attorney to discuss your situation in detail.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,656 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,656 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering