Family Law ?

I have visits every 2nd and 4th Sat. Dad says I can have child on Xmas, I don't trust him. He may say I kidnapped her. How do I protect myself? Get our agreement in writing to be signed at a police station?

Los Angeles, CA -

Joshua Samson Hopstone

Joshua Samson Hopstone

Litigation Lawyer - Westlake Village, CA

Yes - try to get written confirmation. Location does not matter - it does not need to be signed at a police station. You do not want to present him with a long arduous contract; rather, you want to make it as easy as possible for him to agree in writing. For example, if you have his e-mail address, you could send him something to the effect of,

'Dear XX, I thought about our conversation yesterday when you said that I could visit with XX on Christmas. It would mean so much to me to spend the holiday with our child. Please respond to this e-mail to confirm this is still ok, and to let me know when I can pick him/her up. Again, thank you.'

If he responds, you will have your written confirmation, which will probably protect you later on if he tries to frame you or set you up. If he refuses to respond in writing, you may be on alert that he is playing games.

Family law can be extremely acrimonious. Often, open communication can help. However, if you are still concerned, you should consult with a family law attorney in your area for more specific advice on how to protect your rights.

Shazad Z Omar

Shazad Z Omar

Family Law Attorney - Diamond Bar, CA

I agree with Mr. Hopstone. Usually documenting the other parties willingness to agree to allow you visitation with your child on christmas would be a prudent way of trying to resolve these matters without having to seek court assistance.

Stephen Ross Cohen

Stephen Ross Cohen

Family Law Attorney - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

A writing will document the agreement and be prove of his intentions.

Related Advice