Family immigration

Asked over 5 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

My Aunt was sponsored to come here with her family, two of her kids could not come b/c of their age. Now they are married with kids and my Aunt is a citizen and she refile for them. She lives here with my sick uncle, on limted finances. Can the process to reunite this family hasetend due to the time lost and the current family circumstances?

1. Catherine Olson Brown

Pro

Answered . She may not need to refile for her children if she became a US citizen before they married - it is unclear which category she originally filed for her children if at all. Ideally you would want to salvage the original I-130s because the backlog is so long to obtain a visa for many countries in the family-based categories. Refiling today means waiting several more years. Unfortunately, family illness does not hasten the process. It is possible her children may come over on a different type of visa but you need to provide an attorney more details on their skills/education and nationality.