Family harrasing, filed charges against me for made up allegations on child sex assualt 29 years ago.

Thornton, CO |

I had proven at the preliminary hearing that I was not around to do this and judge decided to go ahead with the case.

At a preliminary hearing, the judge must take all evidence in the light most favorable to the prosecution. Whatever your proof is, the judge must have believed that there was some chance that a jury could believe that you could have committed the crime. Because of the standard of proof, it is very hard to win at a preliminary hearing.

Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues. You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380.

Im sorry but I understood that when I left the court room. I am looking for a pro bono attorney to help me. When you are poor and cannot afford an attorney you end up getting convicted for something you didn't do. As soon as someone sees the charges they play judge and jury and treat you with the plague. How do I get a attorney is what I should have asked.

PLEASE give me some direction

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Attorneys work to pay their bills and feed their family. Most cannot afford to spend their time working for free for people on the internet any more than a plumber or mechanic can. If you are indigent, you need to apply for representation from the Public Defenders Office. They are paid by the taxpayers to provide counsel and defense to people who cannot afford to hire a private attorney.

Public defenders are a joke. They speak to you the day of court, And it has been a struggle because they havent contacted anyone on my witness list and they have already formed an opinion. They (the public defenders and DA) are paid out of the same money pool. Not to mention the Bonus they get for a conviction. It's decided even before the case has begun.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

So you're looking for an attorney who can afford to spend more time than the public defender's office contacting your witnesses and working on your case even though this person will not receive any salary or any payment of any kind? It won't be easy to find such a person. There is no public resource to find such people. If there was, they would be swamped with cases and unable to address any of them. Good luck in your search.