Family based petition- processing times/visa bulletin

Florida |

my dad was petitioned by my his dad in feb of '93 under the family based category 3. i recently checked the visa bulletin and they are only processing jan of '91. but we just got a call from a friend of ours with the same situation but they were petition sept of '92. how is that possible that theyre ahead of the visa bulletin? can somebody explain pls.

well our priority date is feb of '93 and theirs' sept '92 with the same family based category 3. but they are already in the process of getting their green card all they need to do is file for AOS. what im confused about is why are they ahead of the visa bulletin? because theyre only doin priority dates of jan. '91.

The question is unclear. Yet, it seems that the father of the friend of yours was petitioned five months earlier. It is not the approval date, but the actual date that the I-130 petition is filed that becomes important. The filing date is known as the priority date. The visas will be issued for those petitions that have been filed earlier. Your friend's family's application was filed earlier, so it will likely be called earlier.

The father must qualify for a visa. Sometimes, people can wait for years only to find out that they do not qualify for a visa. You and your family should consider scheduling an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney where you are confused, need more information, or want to understand whether there may be complications.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.