Family attorney. Home study... What to expect? How to get done fast!

Dallas, TX |

Me and my ex are fighting over custody. I recently moved and my roommate has 6 dogs! (3 are pit mixes) I am very clean and house is clean. Room mate is also a dog trainer even though she is only 19 her animals are pretty well behaved. (Example: she can tell them to load up on chair and they will not move and one is a certified therapy dog.) anyways children live with him and now I have been ordered to have a home study and told than I can't take children out of that county which is six hours away!! I can't not work every other weekend. I am a hairdresser. How am I to make a better home here?! So question is. How to I make this home study happen fast?! What resources can I get? I think he should have to have one too. He does live in a house with 9 people and one is a felon!

If the court orders the home study then the court usually appoints the evaluator. Additionally the evaluator will examine both homes for his report.

Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at for more information about his services.

Unfortunately, home study and fast are two things that don't happen. With your distance, you're likely going to have to do a private home study because I doubt Dallas County officials will drive out 6 hours. If they ordered you to do the home study in Dallas, pay the fee and get rolling ASAP. If they ordered you to do a private home study, get rolling on that one (it'll be more expensive but happen faster).

If you do not do the home study, you're going to have it found against you which is very, very bad for a custody battle.

The best thing you can do at this point in time is to pay the fee, use all your visitation and if need be, consider moving closer to Dallas.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody