Falsely accused of shoplifting

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

I was falsely accused of shoplifting 2 weeks ago. The security asked me if I had anything in my bag that I didn't pay for. I showed him all the contents of my bag and he didn't find anything. I was given a warning not to come back to the store or I will be prosecuted. He didn't ask my name or anything. No cops were involved. What should I do?

1. 3

Answered . Assuming you have now been charged with a crime (you don't expressly say so), then you need to consult directly with an attorney for him/her to assess your circumstances, and to then advise, defend, and advocate for you. Sounds, based on the limited info you present, you have a good defense but your attorney will have to review everything before firmly reaching that conclusion.

2. 2

Answered . Disregard the warning if necessary. The store has the ability to ask any patron to exit the premises. A failure to exit the premises could result in trespassing charges. If you go to the store again, and they ask you to leave, you should leave. Otherwise, you do not have to comply with a security guard's warning not to return for a false accusation.

Adam Feldman
    The Feldman Law Firm, PLLC
    1 E. Washington Street, Suite 500
    Phoenix, Arizona 85004
    (602) 540-7887
    attorney@afphoenixcriminalattorney.com
    www.afphoenixcriminalattorney.com

AV® Preeminent™ Rating
    2013 Super Lawyers Rising Star
    AVVO 9.8/10 Superb Rating

3. 1

1

Answered . Report the false accusation against you to the corporate home office of the store. Their shareholders might like to know that the help is falsely accusing customers of stealing.