Falsely accused of shoplifting

Phoenix, AZ |

I was falsely accused of shoplifting 2 weeks ago. The security asked me if I had anything in my bag that I didn't pay for. I showed him all the contents of my bag and he didn't find anything. I was given a warning not to come back to the store or I will be prosecuted. He didn't ask my name or anything. No cops were involved. What should I do?

Assuming you have now been charged with a crime (you don't expressly say so), then you need to consult directly with an attorney for him/her to assess your circumstances, and to then advise, defend, and advocate for you. Sounds, based on the limited info you present, you have a good defense but your attorney will have to review everything before firmly reaching that conclusion.

I was not charged with a crime. The cops weren't called so I was not given a court date or anything. I was just wondering what the store can do about it? I'm banned from the store and I didn't even take anything.

Craig S Orent

Craig S Orent

The store as a private entity can refuse you admittance for any reason it wants. Not much you can do.

Okay. Thanks. Can they prosecute me for something even if I didn't take anything? I'm just worried they'll come looking for me.

Craig S Orent

Craig S Orent

Technically "yes" a person can be prosecuted for attempting to shoplift, but as with any case, the State needs "proof"

Disregard the warning if necessary. The store has the ability to ask any patron to exit the premises. A failure to exit the premises could result in trespassing charges. If you go to the store again, and they ask you to leave, you should leave. Otherwise, you do not have to comply with a security guard's warning not to return for a false accusation.

Adam Feldman
The Feldman Law Firm, PLLC
1 E. Washington Street, Suite 500
Phoenix, Arizona 85004
(602) 540-7887
attorney@afphoenixcriminalattorney.com
www.afphoenixcriminalattorney.com

AV® Preeminent™ Rating
2013 Super Lawyers Rising Star
AVVO 9.8/10 Superb Rating

I don't have any plans of going back, They didn't take my information. I'm just worried they'll try to look for me. I don't want my parents to know and I don't want to face any charges that I didn't commit.

Report the false accusation against you to the corporate home office of the store. Their shareholders might like to know that the help is falsely accusing customers of stealing.

NONE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS MEANT AS, NOR INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THE LAW IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS BLOG CAN BECOME OUT-DATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME.

Shoplifting topics