Skip to main content

Falsely accused of being insane but later proved sane. Can I sue for outrageous hosp. bills and ruined credit? Slander?Defamatio

Rock Hill, SC |

Friend of spouse went to probate and filed false claims that I was a danger to myself and family and had me picked up for a 3 day mental eval. Was released with state paper claiming I was sane and charges were wrong. Now I have outrageous hospital bills and was embarrassed in front of the entire neighborhood,hospital, and family.Was handcuffed and treated guilty. I had voluntarily went to a few hospitals for help to deal with stress in my life at the time in 2005.Just stress from everyday living and death of mother. This action caused stress to my heart(angina) and underactive thyroid in combination with fybromyalgia.Now mother inlaw who was involved with this entire situation is evicting us 4th time(doesnt approve of my christianity beliefs) First 3 she changed her mind(our paid off home

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Consult with an attorney with all of your records but likely you will not have a claim because when you were picked up and taken they must have made their own determination that you needed help. Best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at



Your answer makes no sense seeing how these were false claims and a certified therapist that I had seen in the past stood up for me stating I have never shown any suicidal attempts or violent tendicies. Thank you anyway.


You can use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool to look for lawyers in your state to see if any will investigate.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer