False statements signed on financial affidavits, perjury, lying in depo. Nobody cares. Why aren't laws on these taken seriously?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

Don't these laws mean anything? My ex filed an amended financial affidavit the day we were in mediation he and his attorney both knew was full of lies leaving off assets and income, which I didn't discover until after divorce. I tried setting aside settlement. My ex gave conflicting statements at my depo and at his on the same topic and lied about a lot of other things. He lied on the stand and other people lied for him. All the above provable but I'm told perjury isn't enforced. Is this what our system has become?

1. Eric J Trabin

5

1

Answered . These laws do mean something, but the difficulty is being able to prove that someone is lying. It isn't enough to claim a person is lying or committing perjury. It's hard to claim the lawyer knew your ex's financial affidavit was "full of lies" if you didn't think there was anything wrong. In all likelihood, your ex gave the financial affidavit to the lawyer and the lawyer passed it on and relied upon it, but there's nothing to suggest that it was obviously false (otherwise you would have noticed it as well). Can you prove that he lied and other people lied for him? Will those other people admit to lying under oath? Perjury is certainly investigated and prosecuted but the problem is that it is so tremendously difficult to prove and the police often do not want to wade into these civil disputes. If you have evidence that proves that someone is committing a crime then you should provide it to law enforcement.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  2. Mark H Randall

Pro

2

Answered . Domestic Relations Court is a dangerous place. I prefer practicing in the criminal defense arena where the rules are more defined and for the most part are found honest and dedicated participants.

3. Majid Vasigh

Pro

1

Answered . Perjury is sometimes enforced. If you have good proof, take it to the state attorney's office and follow up regularly. That's the best chance you have.