Fake ID taken by police, no previous record, was not summoned to court. Advice about next step?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brighton, CO

I am 19 and my ID was taken by the police. At the time, I was given an MIP and a summons to court for the MIP only, the officer told me that the ID would be handed over to "the detective" (or something along those lines) and they would decide whether or not a warrant would be put out for my arrest. When I tried to ask the officer when I would find this out by, or if and how I would be contacted, she was very vague and would not give me any answers. Do you think it is likely or possible that charges will be pressed? I only wonder because I was given no information about what would actually happen and how. I'm hoping I will find out more details at my MIP court date but until then, should I consult a lawyer or just wait until then?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Leroi -- hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can to understand all of the possibilities. The allegations are serious.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. You do not want and can not wait until you MIP court date to "find out." You need to "lawyer up" now and let your attorney do the talking for you.

3. Karl J Geil

3

Answered . The prosecution can choose to add additional charges in your case at any time up until the trial begins. I agree with my colleagues that you should retain an attorney now and have him/her deal with the Deputy D.A. when your case comes up for hearing.