Failure to surrender security deposits to the new management company,

Asked 12 months ago - Charlotte, NC

My existing property manager was terminated on 10/30/2013. He has yet to surrender the pet and security deposits to the new management company after many notices and attempts. What is my recourse. I'm in Calif and he is in North Carolina.

1. Douglas E. Portnoy

Pro

2

Answered . Start with your property management agreement to see if this is addressed. If not, you will have to demand that the money be returned within a certain time and, if not, you will have to file an action for conversion or breach of contract in small claims.

2. Stephen Michael Corby

1

Answered . I agree with the above attorney, however you might need to file in a different court depending on the amount of money he owes. The clerk of court should be able to instruct you on the appropriate limits for small claims, district, and superior courts.