Failure to obey traffic and headphone prohibited

Asked almost 4 years ago - Alpharetta, GA

I received 2 citations on 09/01/10. The first one states "failure to obey traffic" (40-6-20). I took a wrong exit on the South 400 and wanted to go back to freeway. I was following and focusing on my GPS and it showed me that I could take the ramp right the the traffic light (I didn't realize that till the officer told me). On the other hands, I was listening to music while driving with my headsets on, so the officer gave me another citation for "headphones prohibited" (4-6-250). I checked the traffic ticket and it is $364 for both citations. That is too much for an international student like me. So, what should I do to avoid the points and reduce the balance?

Thanks so much!

1. Howard J. Weintraub

Pro

Answered . Take a defensive driving class before you go to court, perform community service for a non-profit organization (I suggest you do no less than 20 hours) and ask the prosecutor to merge the second ticket with the first ticket and tender a plea of nolo contendere to the first ticket. Also try to get the prosecutor to amend the ticket for failure to obey a traffic device to driving too fast for conditions.