Skip to main content

Failure to maintain lain charge in Atlanta after accident. Best option?

Atlanta, GA |

I was headed down a side road in Atlanta where the lane split off into two lanes. I merged into the left lane, and a lady parked off on the side of the street turned out in front of me to do a U turn in the middle of the street. She hit the front right hand corner of my car doing just a bit of body damage and her car was lightly scratched. Before I could even exit the car she pulled back over closer to the side of the road. When the police showed up they took her statement and ticketed me for failure to maintain my lane and wouldn't take a statement from me. What sort of fee could I expect from this ticket and with no witnesses do I have the chance to contest it? I don't know if they ticketed her with anything or not.

Attorney Answers 3


The amount of a potential fine depends on which court the case is sent to. Since a conviction can also affect civil litigation and your insurance rates, you should talk to a lawyer to determine what you should do.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should hire an attorney to protect your interests here. This involves much more than simply a fine or a ticket.

*Attorney Thomas Andrew Miller (678-807-9519) provided this Reply which is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. You are urged to seek the advice of an attorney or, in some cases, a tax professional, before taking any action. **Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer, and your chances of a successful resolution increase exponentially.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics