Failure to Appear while on probation because probation officer was not clear on extension of probation

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

My friend has been on probation for a DUI received last year. He has fulfilled the majority of his probation requirements. With permission from his PO, he moved to a different state. The conditions of his probation include outpatient treatment, paying a $2500.00 fine, 48 hours of community service, and appearing in court. He paid the fine, completed half of the training in one state and received a treatment exemption letter in the other state. My friend informed his PO that he had not yet completed the 48 hours of community service and he would be unable to attend his court date. His Probation officer stated he could get an extension on his probation. The court date came and went and now he found there is a bench warrant for 'failure to appear.' What is the best way to take care of this?

1. Frank Mascagni III

5

1

Answered . You need to hire an attorney ASAP where the warrant was issued. The attorney can locate the case, redocket it, make a motion to set it aside/recalled and address the problem. Get counsel now.

2. James C Forslund

3

Answered . Each court has different procedures. You need an attorney familiar with your particular court.