Skip to main content

Failed to respond to my request for medical authorization & to obtain my medical records from them. What recourse do I have?

San Diego, CA |

I was recently released from the hospital for a possible stroke, still unknown as more tests need to be done. DMV threatening to revoke license. When I went to my primary care physician, I asked to lie down, staff ignored me, then for my own safety laid on the floor. They called ambulance and I refused to go to the hospital. This was suppose to be my followup visit from hospital and for opiate pain medication. They told me to return to see a PA same day , after 7 walk-ins were treated, 2 hrs later, they told me that PA refused to see me because I refused to go to the hospital. Rec letter refusing to be my primary care doctor and allowing 30 days yet failed to provide any further medications, exacerbated my PTSD condition, because I became angry with them.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you complete and provide your doctor with a properly HIPPA form, you should be able to obtain your records.


You are entitled to your records under HIPPA.
Put your request in writing.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


and make sure that you use a proper HIPPA form


As the others have suggested you are legally entitled to receive a copy of your records. You need to submit a written authorization in to the doctors office.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at


Fill out HIPAA form.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer