Failed drug test while on probation. How long could he serve, could more time be added?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

My fiance is currently in Cobb County jail for a probation violation due to a failed drug test. He will be off of probation on 6/30, yes he was stupid for smoking. He violated before because he was unable to pay his fines and was locked up, it was paid, and the judge made him serve 6 months in prison. This time he failed a drug test. Can the judge extend his probation, add more time, make him start all over? Will he have to stay in jail until his probations ends? Does he have a chance of getting out before 6/30? We were told that the judge can not add anymore time due to the 1st offenders act but we've been told so many different things? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Joshua Mark Geller

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . I have several questions. Is the case a felony or misdemeanor? What was he originally charged with? Is it a first offender sentence?

He should have a probation hearing scheduled very soon. The sooner you hire counsel to represent him at that hearing, the sooner his case will be resolved.

Without knowing more information, I cannot answer whether he'll be out by 6/30. My office is in Cobb County. Contact me at (678) 310-7333 if you'd like to discuss your case for free.

2. Allen Rust Knox

5

1

Answered . If this is a first offender sentence, the judge could resentence your fiance and give him more time (unless his first offender status was already revoked or he has already been sentenced to the maximum). Moreover, I would expect that the judge would want to make him serve more than 6 months, since he already has served one revocation for that period of time; judges generally like to increase the punishment each time the offender violates. Your fiance needs an attorney to help him minimize his punishment. I am a former Cobb County prosecutor and would be happy to help with his case. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. (Rusty) Knox
    125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

6

Answered . Call Josh he is local and his questions are appropriate.

4. Frank Mascagni III

6

Answered . First, you need to retain a criminal defense attorney to represent him. If he violated the terms of his probation, due to a dirty urine, he is exposed to a motion to revoke his prior probated sentence. He is entitled to notice and a hearing in front of the sentencing judge. Get counsel.

5. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . I have to agree with Attorney Cohen, give Mr. Keller without delay. Having knowledgeable local counsel to talk is critical.