Skip to main content

FAFSA and who fills it out for an 18 year old?

Washington |
Filed under: Education law

My son will be going to college next year therefore obviously 18. A family member has custody but im very much involved and close to him. Who fills out his FAFSA for college? Me or whom has custody? Wouldnt he do it since he is 18 or does an adult have to be involved in this process? If so who? Thanks

Attorney Answers 1


Not answering as a lawyer. My recollection from preparing FAFSAs for my son was that there is a section for the student and sections for both parents or legal guardians. Your son should ask the guidance counselor at his high school whom to get to fill out the parent/guardian portions of the form.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics