Facing charges of A&B and brandishing and the "witnesses" were all drunk when there statements were taken. I was sober.

Hampton, VA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My question is this. When are the statements of drunk and high individuals taken and/or allowed.

The statements will most likely be allowed if they were voluntary. You may want to talk to an attorney.

Attorney Jason Chan
77 Franklin Street, FL3
Boston, MA 02110

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.

Assuming that the officers noted the drunken state of the witnesses, this should have been addressed in the statements, as it can impact the credibility of the person giving the statement. Discuss this with a local lawyer who can review the reports and the statements to evaluate the potential evidential value of the witness statements against your own. You can then make an informed decision on how to address this matter in Court. Good luck.

This information is offered for informational purposes only, as I do not practice law in your State. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

I don't practice in VA, but the statements of witnesses will always be taken down by the police. Their drunk/high state goes to weight of the evidence.

Edward J. Blum