Skip to main content

Facing a violate of probation for non-payment of restution will i go to jail.Other then this i have been a model citzen.

Rochester, NY |

Im a full time college student,and i will have the money to pay this next month will i have time?Other then this i have been a model citzen.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If this is the only violation and you will be able to pay it next month it is unlikely that you will go to jail.

  2. The Judge will not be happy, but your attorney will be able to advocate that you are doing everything else you are supposed to be doing. You're in college, full-time and have financial difficulties - the court should give you more time to pay or you can request that the restitution be converted to a civil judgment but that would effect your credit, so speak with your attorney about that and if your jurisdiction would even entertain such a thing.

  3. Having a lawyer will help.

    The judge should either extend your probation or convert the restitution to a civil judgment, but it depends on the entire record in your case.

    Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics