Facing a Felony Embezzlement charge for stealing $1,200.00 out of my register at Home Depot. Scared, what to do to avoid jail.

Asked 10 months ago - San Jose, CA

I'm a 22 year old veteran who has never been arrested and no prior criminal record other than traffic violations (one of them including a Misd for driving with a Suspended License that is being dropped down to an Infraction). I was questioned at Home Depot for taking $1,200.00 out of my register, I admitted to taking money and signed a written statement explaining what happened and why I did it. I didn't think I was going to be arrested, but I was on the spot. I was booked into the San Jose Main County Jail for a little more than 12 hours and released with a supervised OR. Being in jail for not even a whole day was the worst experience of my life. I'm no Felon, so what are my options? Under the circumstances, do you think I will go to jail? Can't afford a lawyer or Jail time.

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

10

1

Answered . In any theft case, having full restitution up front is always your best bargaining tool.

Your next best is an excellent defense attorney - whether they are privately destined or appointed by the court.

You're above the $950 for grand theft, but grand theft is a "wobbler" and can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor by the prosecution. Just because you were booked on a felony doesn't mean that it necessarily will be charged as a felony or that it will resolve as a felony.

If there is any way to get an attorney now that you hire, do it. Your attorney can be up to speed on they case before charges are filed. There is always a possibility they can prevent filing by talking to the prosecutor before they make any decisions.

You never knowing you can afford one until you meet face to face to discuss your case, fees and payments.

2. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

8

Answered . Mr. Dane is correct. Full restitution will be a great help. A public defender will be appointed .

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  3. Darryl Elliot Young

8

Answered . Pay the restitution in full as soon as possible. If you can't afford an attorney, the public defender's office in Santa Clara County will help you.

4. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

7

Answered . I agree that paying restitution will help you but you should do this only through an attorney, either a public defender or retained counsel. Best of luck.

5. Christopher Daniel Leroi

7

Answered . Hire the best criminal defense attorney that you can afford. Look here on Avvo with the Find a Lawyer tool

6. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

3

Answered . Read the answers posted by my avvo.com colleagues. A synopsis of which is put restitution together or have specific plan for repayment. Consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense lawyer ASAP.