Facing a charge for poss. of marijuana > 30 oz, 1st offense, immigrant under F-1 visa. here are my questions....

Lafayette, IN |

1. do i really need a lawyer?
2. would this charge affect my immigration status?
3. what penally am I facing?
4. can I delay the court date for buy me enough time to hire an attorney? how?
5. am i going to be a subject for a drug test?

Thank you, appreciate you assistance.

1- Yes
    2- Yes
    3- Depends on your state law
    4- Yes. When you go to Court for the first time, you can ask the prosecutor that you need to continue your case to find an attorny. If your court date sometimes soon, I would start looking for lawyer as soon as you can.
    5- Maybe and depends if you are placed on probation.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    www.greencardusa.com
    (770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. Unless you do not care whether you might be deported, you had better hire an experienced attorney.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Yes to 1 and 2. Hire a lawyer who understands both criminal and immigration consequences.

4. 1. yes.
    2. yes.... that is why you need a lawyer
    3. Depends on if you mean less than 30 ounces or less than 30 grams. There will be a big difference.
    4. Ask the judge for time, if this is your first appearance he will likely give you time. Call some lawyers first and set an appointment with one so you can tell the judge you have an appointment with lawyer x on whatever date it is. That way the judge will know you are serious.
    5. If convicted almost 100% certain you will.

Note that this answer is NOT a substitute for legal advice, nor does it create an attorney client relationship. Please consult with an attorney.