Facing a charge for poss. of marijuana > 30 oz, 1st offense, immigrant under F-1 visa. here are my questions....

Asked over 2 years ago - Lafayette, IN

1. do i really need a lawyer?
2. would this charge affect my immigration status?
3. what penally am I facing?
4. can I delay the court date for buy me enough time to hire an attorney? how?
5. am i going to be a subject for a drug test?

Thank you, appreciate you assistance.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

1

Answered . Unless you do not care whether you might be deported, you had better hire an experienced attorney.

2. Hassan Hussein Elkhalil

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . 1- Yes
    2- Yes
    3- Depends on your state law
    4- Yes. When you go to Court for the first time, you can ask the prosecutor that you need to continue your case to find an attorny. If your court date sometimes soon, I would start looking for lawyer as soon as you can.
    5- Maybe and depends if you are placed on probation.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    www.greencardusa.com
    (770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

3. Brooks James Grainger

1

Answered . 1. yes.
    2. yes.... that is why you need a lawyer
    3. Depends on if you mean less than 30 ounces or less than 30 grams. There will be a big difference.
    4. Ask the judge for time, if this is your first appearance he will likely give you time. Call some lawyers first and set an appointment with one so you can tell the judge you have an appointment with lawyer x on whatever date it is. That way the judge will know you are serious.
    5. If convicted almost 100% certain you will.

4. Robert West

Answered . Yes to 1 and 2. Hire a lawyer who understands both criminal and immigration consequences.