Facing a charge for poss. of marijuana > 30 oz, 1st offense, immigrant under F-1 visa. here are my questions....

Asked over 2 years ago - Lafayette, IN

1. do i really need a lawyer?
2. would this charge affect my immigration status?
3. what penally am I facing?
4. can I delay the court date for buy me enough time to hire an attorney? how?
5. am i going to be a subject for a drug test?

Thank you, appreciate you assistance.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unless you do not care whether you might be deported, you had better hire an experienced attorney.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Hassan Hussein Elkhalil

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . 1- Yes
    2- Yes
    3- Depends on your state law
    4- Yes. When you go to Court for the first time, you can ask the prosecutor that you need to continue your case to find an attorny. If your court date sometimes soon, I would start looking for lawyer as soon as you can.
    5- Maybe and depends if you are placed on probation.

    Good luck

    Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    (770) 612-3499

    Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

  3. Brooks James Grainger

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . 1. yes.
    2. yes.... that is why you need a lawyer
    3. Depends on if you mean less than 30 ounces or less than 30 grams. There will be a big difference.
    4. Ask the judge for time, if this is your first appearance he will likely give you time. Call some lawyers first and set an appointment with one so you can tell the judge you have an appointment with lawyer x on whatever date it is. That way the judge will know you are serious.
    5. If convicted almost 100% certain you will.

    Note that this answer is NOT a substitute for legal advice, nor does it create an attorney client relationship.... more
  4. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes to 1 and 2. Hire a lawyer who understands both criminal and immigration consequences.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,017 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,017 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering