Facebook takedowns over trademark infringement

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

Would I have a case to sue someone for notifying Fb about my using another's trademark for my business if it on the supplemental register?

1. Richard T Matthews

5

1

Answered . Very unlikely.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

1

Answered . NO. That "someone" has a right to assert a registered trademark by notifying Facebook of the registration and your use of it, even if just a supplemental registration. It is unclear if "someone" and "another" are the same person. That's the problem with use of pronouns, as pronouns [especially "it" and "they", although here "another" and "someone" result in similar ambiguity] can lead to ambiguity. Registered patent attorneys are often trained to strictly avoid use of pronouns to avoid ambiguity.

3. David Wade Barman

3

1

Answered . Can you sue someone for notifying the police about a crime? No. You cannot have a cause of action against a third party witness unless the testimony or accusation is blatantly false or malicious.