Facebook accusing me of copyright infringement

Asked almost 6 years ago - New York, NY

one of my videos I uploaded on facebook has been reported as breaking the copyright laws because it contains audio owned by a third party.

The video in question is a demo reel of myself performing martial arts and acrobatics; and the audio is a short minute long sample of Disco Connection by Isaac Hayes.
I clearly do not

Facebook wants me to either remove the video or get permission by the copyright holders to use the audio in it.

I dont believe I have done anything wrong; and the ability to aquire the right to use the audio is beyond my ability.
I cannot contact facebook and explain this because, well facebook is a system controlled by machines...

can i get some advice?

I know I can simply remove the video , but still, is there anything else I could do?

1. Barry Neil Shrum

Answered . I agree with Oscar. Your use of the copyrighted song is an infringement of not only the sound recording copyright, as Oscar points out, but the copyright in the underlying musical composition. You are, in fact, doing something "wrong" in that you are using another person's intellectual property without their permission. In the physical realm, it would be similar to your neighbor helping himself to your lawnmower without your permission. Here, you're using intellectual property that belongs to someone else. I also wanted to point out that Facebook is probably contacting you because it has likely been contacted by the record label and/or music publisher asking that the infringing video be removed. This is how copyright holders enforce their rights - they contact the ISP or website developer via a cease and desist letter.

My advise is to simply replace the audio in the video with something that is freely available. I have provided a great blog post link below that lists places on the web where you can download "free" music, i.e., music to which the owner's give free license for you to use. Find something you like among the free stuff!

2. Oscar Michelen

Answered . Unfortunately, you answered your own question. Removing the video (or at least the audio track of it) is the easiest answer. The use of someone's recorded song does amount to copyright infringement. The copyright holder (normally a record label) would be allowed to file suit against you. While that is unlikely, Facebook could stop you from having a page or from posting any further. It is a private company, not a public space