Facebook accusing me of copyright infringement

New York, NY |

one of my videos I uploaded on facebook has been reported as breaking the copyright laws because it contains audio owned by a third party.

The video in question is a demo reel of myself performing martial arts and acrobatics; and the audio is a short minute long sample of Disco Connection by Isaac Hayes.
I clearly do not

Facebook wants me to either remove the video or get permission by the copyright holders to use the audio in it.

I dont believe I have done anything wrong; and the ability to aquire the right to use the audio is beyond my ability.
I cannot contact facebook and explain this because, well facebook is a system controlled by machines...

can i get some advice?

I know I can simply remove the video , but still, is there anything else I could do?

Unfortunately, you answered your own question. Removing the video (or at least the audio track of it) is the easiest answer. The use of someone's recorded song does amount to copyright infringement. The copyright holder (normally a record label) would be allowed to file suit against you. While that is unlikely, Facebook could stop you from having a page or from posting any further. It is a private company, not a public space

Sorry, but I must say you're dumb. Compare facebook to your e-mail and you should see why youre being dumb and naive. Record labels are way up in their asses.

I agree with Oscar. Your use of the copyrighted song is an infringement of not only the sound recording copyright, as Oscar points out, but the copyright in the underlying musical composition. You are, in fact, doing something "wrong" in that you are using another person's intellectual property without their permission. In the physical realm, it would be similar to your neighbor helping himself to your lawnmower without your permission. Here, you're using intellectual property that belongs to someone else. I also wanted to point out that Facebook is probably contacting you because it has likely been contacted by the record label and/or music publisher asking that the infringing video be removed. This is how copyright holders enforce their rights - they contact the ISP or website developer via a cease and desist letter.

My advise is to simply replace the audio in the video with something that is freely available. I have provided a great blog post link below that lists places on the web where you can download "free" music, i.e., music to which the owner's give free license for you to use. Find something you like among the free stuff!

You attorneys in your greed for making money you lost your common sense and civic responsibilities. I paid good money to buy the CD for my personal listening enjoyment. So you are telling me that it is a violation of the law if I invite few friends over and listen to the music together? So you are telling me if my neighbor over hears portion of the track through my open window it a violation of the law? So you are telling me that if someone has a "tiny" portion of a track - not the full track, he will be so happy with it that he will not buy the full track or the complete CD? So you are telling me that I can not bill the artist and/or the music company for the marketing service I am providing to them? And my final question to you is - are you telling me that you "never" copied a CD or a track from your favorit CD for your favorit aunt or niece? Be aware now all device players transmit unique code to a central database each time a media is played on it; all one has to do is to query the database to find if you and your favorit aunt is playing a media with same unique code - you are busted! Disclosure: My last statement was fictitious; how long do you think this will remain a fiction?

Copyright infringement topics

Recommended articles about Copyright infringement