Skip to main content

F1 visa expires on july 5th 2013 will it be a problem if i travel outside US from may 10 to june 20th 2013

Dallas, TX |

Im in status and have a valid i20 reason i want to go is i need surgery and it is cheaper in my country than here.

Attorney Answers 3


Tough choice. If you leave, you risk having problems being readmitted, and if so being readmitted only for a few days, until July 5th.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Technically it will be possible to return w/ 15 days left on the visa.

But, consider this ... what if there are problems/complications with the surgery that require you to spend more time in recovery and, therefore, are unable to fly?

Consider getting a new visa stamp while back home ... talk to your foreign student adviser.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree




Thanks !! So if there is no complication in surgery and if if u fly on time you will be readmit with 15 days visa ?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


Probably ... talk to your foreign student adviser to confirm that you have the proper documents.


I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics