F1 student Unintentionally worked 1 day without work authorization. But through employment had the proper work authorization

Dallas, TX |

Worked on CPT from May 9 till August 10th and applied to Fall CPT. Requested dates on application from August 11th till December to have no gap. Upon receiving work authorization CPT starting date showed august 14 till December. Talked to advisor will not help saying can't back the dates. However, worked the 10 hour shift on August 12. Which means worked illegally during that time. I have the work authorization but really worried that 1 day can hurt my F1 status. As honest person reported to my HR and got suspended from work for a week. What if they report it to my school? Can I talk them out of it? Should I quit? Please advise

You should keep doing what you have been, attending school full time and working when you are authorized. If you run into problems and need an attorney I will advise you for free. Or you can contact another Board Certified Immigration Attorney. This is not a problem.

Schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This a non issue. I wouldn't be hyperventilating or losing any sleep over this. You'll be fine.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Employment