F1 status terminated

Portland, OR |

My f1 status was terminated on April 13th 2012 due to failure to maintain a full course of study ( I didn't do well last semester ) and so I was given 15 days to leave the country. I have an incomplete grade that needs make up work for another two weeks from today ( April 26th ) and obviously I need to exit the country no longer than the 29th. Can I overstay another two weeks without facing problems in the event I want to get an m1 visa at the consulate because of the overstay of two weeks OR re-renter using this F1 visa with a new F1 I-20 with also the two week overstay ? Please help as I need to know asap and sunday April 29th is in couple days from now.

P.S I'm out of status due to termination in SEVIS I'm not sure what other information is needed ? Can you be more specific of what info and why it is "complicated" in your answer Kevin Lawrence Dixler ? I understand you're saying reinstatement is an option and I recognize that; but read my question again and if you know the answer then answer. Other than that find someone else to call his case complicated.

The situation is not so simple. More information is needed. However, obtaining an M1 visa seems unlikely based upon the termination, even if you leave the U.S. I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a comptent and experienced immigration attorney before matters get further complicated.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Ok, so what other information is needed ?

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Posted provides general information to the public, but cannot always provide legal advice. Your situation is complicated, because you lost your F1 student status. There are several ways to reinstate or recover your F1 student status. You may want to discuss the options in detail to decide whether this makes sense to pursue based upon the specific facts. It can take time and effort to provide good legal advice. Time is an attorneys stock and trade, so you if you value legal advice, then it is wise to find an attorney who can afford to properly evaluate your case. Many charge an appointment or research fee depending upon the situation. It may take an hour to explain the situation to your satisfaction, so that you understand what you can do to decide whether to do anything. Good luck.

I agree with attorney Dixler.

Any overstay is problematic. Overstays are considered in deciding whether to grant a person a visa.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Immigration