F1 status terminated

Asked almost 3 years ago - Portland, OR

My f1 status was terminated on April 13th 2012 due to failure to maintain a full course of study ( I didn't do well last semester ) and so I was given 15 days to leave the country. I have an incomplete grade that needs make up work for another two weeks from today ( April 26th ) and obviously I need to exit the country no longer than the 29th. Can I overstay another two weeks without facing problems in the event I want to get an m1 visa at the consulate because of the overstay of two weeks OR re-renter using this F1 visa with a new F1 I-20 with also the two week overstay ? Please help as I need to know asap and sunday April 29th is in couple days from now.

Additional information

P.S I'm out of status due to termination in SEVIS
I'm not sure what other information is needed ? Can you be more specific of what info and why it is "complicated" in your answer Kevin Lawrence Dixler ? I understand you're saying reinstatement is an option and I recognize that; but read my question again and if you know the answer then answer. Other than that find someone else to call his case complicated.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The situation is not so simple. More information is needed. However, obtaining an M1 visa seems unlikely based upon the termination, even if you leave the U.S. I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a comptent and experienced immigration attorney before matters get further complicated.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . I agree with attorney Dixler.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Any overstay is problematic. Overstays are considered in deciding whether to grant a person a visa.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,077 answers this week

3,622 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,077 answers this week

3,622 attorneys answering