F1 Out-of-Status marrying US Citizen

Hi, I am an International Student but fell out of status since last July because I dropped out of one of my classes due to medical reasons. Me and my boyfriend of almost a year are getting married now (he's a citizen) and our marriage is bona fide. We've been living together since last December as well. Should I anticipate having any trouble adjusting my status?

Seattle, WA -

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

Immigration Attorney - Bellevue, WA

Provided you entered lawfully and you are adjusting status as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, the fact that you fell out of status isn't going to affect whether you are eligible to adjust. I agree with my colleagues, however, that you should have a thorough analysis of the case with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure there isn't a different problem that you weren't aware of.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

Not because you fell out of status. There may be other reasons but one cannot tell from the information you posted.

Dana Roxana Bucin

Dana Roxana Bucin

Immigration Attorney - Hartford, CT

Not from the perspective of having been out of status, but I would still use a lawyer for the process

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Not on the basis that you fell out of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleagues.