Skip to main content

F1 Out-of-Status marrying US Citizen

Seattle, WA |

Hi, I am an International Student but fell out of status since last July because I dropped out of one of my classes due to medical reasons. Me and my boyfriend of almost a year are getting married now (he's a citizen) and our marriage is bona fide. We've been living together since last December as well. Should I anticipate having any trouble adjusting my status?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Not because you fell out of status. There may be other reasons but one cannot tell from the information you posted.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  2. Not from the perspective of having been out of status, but I would still use a lawyer for the process

    This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

  3. Not on the basis that you fell out of status.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. Provided you entered lawfully and you are adjusting status as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, the fact that you fell out of status isn't going to affect whether you are eligible to adjust. I agree with my colleagues, however, that you should have a thorough analysis of the case with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure there isn't a different problem that you weren't aware of.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  5. I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics