F1 out of status but graduating or marrying

Asked 10 months ago - Westfield, NJ

i entered the country legally through f1 visa but i lost my student status and have been here ever since. if i graduate from college/university while out of status or if i marry a resident, would there be any reasons to deny me a legalized stay here in the u.s? would it be difficult to adjust my status?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . Is the resident eligible for citizenship? You should wait until he/she becomes a citizen to file the adjustment.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

Answered . Graduating doesn't help. Marrying a permanent resident won't help (unless s/he become a citizen quickly). Marrying a US citizen would help as long as the marriage is bona fide. Whatever happens, don't try to adjust your status until you consult with a lawyer.

3. Harry Asatrian

Answered . You should speak with experience to give you proper way in obtaining your resident status in the U.S.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Graduating won't help.

Marriage to a person with resident status won't help ... much.

Encourage the resident to become a US Citizen ... that will help.