F1 LLC establishment

Asked about 1 year ago - Pierre, SD

Sorry to bother you again. If I can not work for my business that I plan to establish, Can I at least establish the business and have someone else work for it ?

If yes, Is it ok to sign the documents thats require to establish the business ? Its going to be a partnership firm and both of us are on F1 visa just that one is on OPT and I am still studying.

If we can sign the documents for the establishment of LLC but do not work at all, can we atleast share profits and pay taxes ?

I am planning to establish business in South dakota as it does not require physical franchise or a lot of expenses.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, but you cannot work whether paid or unpaid.
    Yes, provided you are a silent partner.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Establish & not work? Yes.
    Sign papers? Yes
    Split the profits????? BE CAREFUL ... unlike my colleagues, I am only going to give you a 'qualified maybe'.
    SD is a nice state.

    ADDITIONAL COMMENT: I think that this entire concept is pushing the limit and is a great idea for you to consider ... AFTER you graduate. Why not focus on your studies and get fantastic grades? That way you'll have a better shot at a employment-based greencard.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,529 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,529 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering