Skip to main content

F1 Change to B1

Flushing, NY |

Under F-1(OPT) status, expire in Feb, 2013, plus grace period, legal to stay untill Apr, 2013. Plan to file HIB PT in Apr, 2013. Still want to work legally during Feb-Apr, 2013, even without pay, can I file for change of Status from F1 - B1? How can I put the reason for COS? Thanks a lot.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Yes, you can apply for change to B1.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. i believe that the uscis has a policy on that which could allow you to stay on a b2 visa provided you have the means. you really should go see a business immigration attorney in the city, such as jonathon avirom. good luck

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez or Yong Wood highly skilled and experienced.

  3. Yes, you may and you need to see immigration attorney for this.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  4. You cannot work, paid or unpaid once your OPT expires and will not be able to work until October 1, assuming your H-1b has been approved by then. Changing status to B-1 does not change that. B-1 is for conducting business in the US from a foreign country.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  5. Yes, you can file for a B ... but NO WORK ... not even 'work' without pay will be permitted until the H becomes active on October 1, 2013.

    Talk to your foreign student adviser and an immigration lawyer to see if B is the best option for you.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  6. Yes you can. You just need to explain why you would like to stay longer, that you will return to your home country and that you have money o support yourself here.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics