F1 applying for green card, Can i quit school?

Asked over 1 year ago - Washington, DC

Im currently student with f1 visa and valid i-20. I entered usa legally and have been in language school for 2 years. I married a US citizen recently and have file for green card and just completed my biometric appointment. Do i need to continue going to the language school under the f1 visa or has my status changed and i am since i applied for the green card? Am i covered under the filing of the green card or must i keep like i have a f1 visa?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . I think this not an immigration but very personal question . Do you need to continue with your language school? How would we know here on AVVO your level of English and whether you still need a language school?

2. Andrew Marino Bramante

2

1

Answered . For immigration purposes, you do not need to continue your F1. You should use an experienced lawyer to help you with your greencard application. F1 language school to marriage to I-130 will get more than the usual skepticism about the validity of the marriage. If you do not use an attorney to help you prepare documentation and for your interview, you may pay a lot more later recovering from a denial.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . It is always best to maintain status.