F-1 Student went back home want to come back to the US on B2

Houston, TX |

Came to the US in 2001 on F-1. Visa expired in 2006 but continued in school with upto date I-20. Went to my home country while school was in session in 2012. Tried to come back on B2 denied. My family is still there. What option are there to come back?

Your family is 'still' where? In the US? If so, the government probably had good reason to deny your B.

You should talk to an attorney and the school's foreign student adviser ... many of us use Skype for this.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

If you were deported upon intending to enter with your B-2, then you cannot return for 5 years. You should consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney to see what options may be available to you.

Marry a USC and then have him or her sponsor you for a green card. That's your only option under your facts and circumstances. Your chance of ever obtaining any other types of visas are less than zero otherwise.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I assume you mean the B2 was denied. You can apply again, and I recommend providing proper evidence to show ties to your home country. This free guide can help: http://westimmigration.com/b2-visa-do-it-yourself-guide/

Hasan Abdullah is an attorney licensed in the State of Illinois. The answer provided is informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.