F-1 status to work visa filing

Asked 10 months ago - Long Island City, NY

Hello,

I am on F-1 visa and currently working on OPT status with STEM OPT Extension application under review.
Do I need to apply for work visa before my current OPT expires and STEM OPT Extension decision has not been made?

Thank you,
Kanwar

1. Ajay Kumar Arora

1

Answered . STEM OPT is an excellent option for persons who do not have the option of being sponsored for an employment based visa category such as H1B. If there is an employer ready to file an H1B petition for you and the visa cap is either not applicable because you have held H1B status at some point within the past 6 years, or the employer is cap-exempt, by all means cooperate with the employer in the filing of an H1B petition.

2. Charles Richard Conroy

Pro

1

Answered . No, you do not need to make any further application if your STEM OPT extension was properly filed in a timely manner. If your current employment card expires, employment authorization is automatically extended up to 180 days while you await a decision on your STEM OPT extension application. Good luck!

3. Harry Asatrian

Answered . No