Extension of Court Date

Asked about 4 years ago - Walnut Creek, CA

I recently received my second DUI and I have a court date assigned to me for July 13th.. I am wondering if there is any possibility that I can extend my court date for a later date.. possibly 1 month??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gabriel Eric Dorman

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . No YOU can't. However, if you cannot make the July 13 date you can hire an experienced DUI lawyer to represent you who can then appear in court without you being there (as long as this is not a felony DUI). Regardless, since this is a second DUI, you really should hire a DUI lawyer as you are looking at mandatory jail time on a 2nd DUI.

    I hope this answer was helpful.

    Good luck,

    Gabriel Dorman

  2. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . you can appear on or soon before July 13 and request a a continuance of your arraignment. Worse case, the court says no. You can always enter a not guilty plea and set the next court date (a readiness/disposition conference) out a few weeks to then appear with retained counsel.

  3. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . That date will not be changed. You either need to appear on that date or have an attorney appear for you. Many courts require an individual to have bail posted for a second time DUI. It would be in your best interest to consult with an attorney to review your case.
    Robert Driessen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,046 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,046 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering