Extension of b1/b2 visa for my mother

Asked 8 months ago - Lawrenceville, GA

Hi Officer... My mother came in month of dec 2013 and her stay is given for 6 months. My wife is pregnant now and she expects it in month of July.. so can I extend in any way my mother visa for another 3-4 months as I am working and My wife needs help in her daily chores as it is her first delivery.

Thanks
Arjun

1. Peter Trent New

Pro

Answered . Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Your mother should be able to request an extension of her visa for up to another 6 months via application to USCIS. When she sends in the extension application, she'll need to be sure to include information and documentation showing that there's a good justification for the extension (ie, that your wife needs help after delivery and you'll be working), that she maintains strong ties to her home country and intends to return at the end of her visit, and that she will be able to support herself in the U.S. without working (either by showing that she has adequate funds to pay for her stay, or that she has family in the U.S. that she will be staying with).

2. Rizwan M Khalid

1

Answered . Yes, you may be able to get the extension. I would document the reasons and have an immigration attorney file the necessary extension paperwork for you to get it done right. Let me know if my office can help. By the way, congrats on upcoming new addition to your family.

3. Ajay Kumar Arora

1

Answered . Your mother can file her own application to extend her stay in the U.S. with adequate justification, intent to return to her home country at the conclusion of the requested period of extension (no more than 180 days), evidence that the applicant has adequate funds to support her extended visit in the U.S. or is otherwise staying in c/o a friend or family member, evidence indicating ties to the home country, etc. If not handled properly, there could be status violations, invalidation of existing visa, finding of unlawful presence, removal from the USCIS, etc.